Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dave the Pool Guy


Dave came by yesterday to fix the crumbling tile on my swimming pool. Just by looking at Dave, you can tell he doesn't lead a dull life. Dave is a self-professed hillbilly. He repairs pools, does logging in the winter and carves giant bears out of wood with his chainsaw.

We discussed hunting deer as just this morning the deer had eaten off the tops of my hostas and daylilies. Dave likes to dress in camo, go on the hunt and when he does, does so with a bow. His freezer is well stocked with venison. Later in the day, I got to speak to Dave's wife and we exchanged notes on how to deal with the woodchucks that have ravaged our gardens.

If you haven't already guessed, Dave used to ride a Harley.

I don't think I'll see Dave again as we'll probably be filling in the pool and covering it with grass at the end of the season. It was nice getting to know you Dave.

This picture is #3 in my 100 Strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at www.100Strangers.com.

4 comments:

B SQUARED said...

The area we are "summering" in is very "outdoorsy." Most of the locals hunt with bows. I have to admit, this city boy is learning all kinds of new things. Good luck fighting nature. I've been pretty unsuccessful so far.

Lowell said...

A pool is a pain in the you-know-what! But, in Florida, at times, a lot of fun! We have a vinyl pool so have different problems - like leaks.

I think I told you we discussed filling in the pool, too, but that would decrease the value of the house plus it would cost $20K or more!

Dave sure looks like an interesting guy!

P.S. I can't cut our palm trees down. They're extraordinarily beautiful! Just messy! And frustrating. It wouldn't be so bad if I could get up there and cut the pods down...but that really isn't possible (it's a big job!)

VP said...

Great third part of your 100 Strangers: good portrait of a very unusual guy (for our standards). You described him as well with your words.

Cafe Pasadena said...

How can one lead a dull life when he's constantly dealing with swimmers & pool owners! I hope Dave can keep his sanity.