
Before we leave the Boston Marathon I want to introduce you to Dick and Rick Hoyt. Theirs is the ultimate story of fatherly love, endurance and a zest for life. Rick was born with his umbilical card wrapped around his neck, depriving him of oxygen. The Hoyts were told he would be a vegetable. They did not believe the doctors. In 1977 Rick asked his dad to push his wheelchair in a 5K. Even though they came in 2nd last, the seeds were sown and they never looked back. The 113th Boston Marathon was their 1000th event. Together they have competed in marathons and the ultimate challenge, the Hawaii Ironman Triathalon six times, where Dick pulled Rick in a dinghy while he swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles with Rick in a special seat at the front of the bike, and pushed Rick 26.2 miles in a specially built wheelchair. They are a truly amazing team. To learn more about Team Hoyt, watch this YouTube presentation.
This photo is from last year's marathon.
9 comments:
I saw a segment on the news years ago about this father and son. A great man. The world would be a better place if more were like him. Restores one's faith in humanity.
It's so touching....
That is incredible. Great photo, too. Thanks for sharing this!
Wow. 1000 events, that is some achievement.
I did translate your post in Greek, thank you so much for sharing this.
I can not still find the word to describe how I felt.
The marathon more than any other event seems to bring out the very best in people.
The type of love and dedication that brings a tear to the eye and makes you believe that there's truth in the saying that all things happen for a reason!
Thank you all. I am glad that the Hoyts have touched you as they have touched everyone who has heard their story.
I saw a billboard of them by the 110 fwy on my way from work. I always get choked up when I see it. So much love & so much strength on Team Hoyt! Exceptional post here, A.
Post a Comment